www.flickr.com
Trance-Elbow's photos More of Trance-Elbow's photos

Tuesday 5 August 2008

Time For A New Bike

I passed my motorbike test almost 5 years ago now and have ridden most days since. My first bike was a very low mileage Honda CBR600F-X on which I covered almost 40,000 miles.
Although still a lovely bike, she was getting a bit long in the tooth. 40,000 miles on a middle weight sports bike is almost unheard of. So back in March I started looking around for a new ride. My good mate Beefy and I arranged to test ride a couple of possibilities at Littlehampton Motorcycles one Sunny Saturday in late February.

These were:

Honda CBF1000
Honda CB1300

I also wanted to try a Suzuki Bandit 1250, but I just couldn’t find a dealer who had a demonstrator available. In the end I didn’t bother.

Chris, the salesman at Littlehampton turned out to a top bloke and a very good non-pressure salesman. He talk to us about to bikes and possible finance arrangements. After our ride he even suggested a couple more bikes we should try. So we did.

These were:

Honda CBF600
Honda CBR1000RR Fireblade

My Conclusions

Honda CB1300

I really wanted to love this bike before I rode it. It was good, but it just wasn’t quite floating my boat. Very quick and lots of fun, but it gave me some pain in my left ankle, which surprised me as the riding position was less extreme then my CBR.

Honda CBF1000


An excellent bike. Comfy, quick, great riding position, etc. It ticked all the boxes and comes with ABS to boot.

Honda CBF600


Almost exactly the same size its big brother. Obviously less powerful, but not too bad. The engine felt very similar to my CBR600 in fact.

Honda CBR1000RR Fireblade


OMG!!!! What an experience. On the open road it felt like it wanted to throw me of the back all the time. Quick is not the word, but what else would you expect from a 180 BHP sports bike. Great fun, but not at all practical for my daily commute to work and my lunch hours are not long enough for the endless visits to the chiropractors.

After careful consideration, which took about 2, maybe 3 nano seconds, I settled on a CBF1000. And I picked her up on 15th March. Here she is.


Four months and over 5000 miles later and I'm still convinced I made the right choice

Regards



Click Here to E-Mail Me Direct

Click Here to Visit my Flickr Account

No comments:

Post a Comment