www.flickr.com
Trance-Elbow's photos More of Trance-Elbow's photos

Saturday 10 March 2012

You may be surprised to learn that I can actualy read!

When I started commuting to work by train, just over 20 years ago, I soon got bored with watching the world go past the window. I notice that other commuters were reading books, so I decided to give it a go.

I started off with Douglas Adams Hitch-hikers Guide to the Galaxy and was immediately hooked. I initially read the four books in the Trilogy, but then moved on to his other works from the Dirk Gently series. Again, I was enthralled with these two excellent works. Unfortunately, Douglas was far from a prolific writer and having read all his works to date, I needed to find someone else's books to read.



When I was at school I remember reading Tolkens The Hobbit, so I decided to give that a go and I'm glad I did. I thoroughly enjoyed being transported to another universe of Hobbits, Wizards, Goblins and the like. I followed this we the Lord of the Rings Trilogy. In comparison to The  Hobbit, I was very disappointed. Midway through the second book I could stand no more and threw in the towel. Nearly 18 years on I still haven't felt the need to pick it up again, not even after seeing the films. Perhaps one day I may try again. Only time will tell.


I was in Glasgow in 1994 and while browsing in a cheap book shop I happened across a book by Robert Rankin, which caught my eye. It was just what I was looking for and his writing style very much reminded of the late Douglas Adams. I have been a fan ever since and have been reading his books in order for a number of years. I am about halfway through his works currently.

You may be thinking to yourself that I haven't read a great deal considering I've been at it for 20 years. The fact is that I am dyslexic and read very slowly. Maybe in another 20 years I may have caught up to date with Robert Rankin's books 8-)

Regards



Click Here to E-Mail Me Direct
Click Here to Visit my Flickr Account

No comments:

Post a Comment