www.flickr.com
Trance-Elbow's photos More of Trance-Elbow's photos

Thursday 1 June 2006

I am English First and British Second


St. George's Cross
Originally uploaded by Trance-Elbow.


That is not a racist statement and I am defiantly not racist. I just get very annoyed when I hear that English Patriotism is frowned upon by the media and particularly our Government or should I say 'The Westminster Muppet Show'. There are often stories in the press about English citizens who have been asked to take down their St. Georges cross because it was deemed offensive. If you were to ask an American to take down the Star & Stripes, they would probably shot you. The Welsh, Scottish and Northern Irish aren’t discriminated in this way. So why should we tolerate such treatment here?

Did you know that England is the only country in the EU that doesn’t have it’s own elected parliament. Scotland has one, Wales has one, even Northern Ireland, but England. There is a non-political organisation who wants to change this. Their Website is very good and informative. They are,

Campaign for an English Parliament


I don’t know if you have noticed that at sporting events where England play the British National Anthem. Why? The British National Anthem is for the UK as a whole. At The Six Nations games (that’s a Rugby tournament by the way) Wales and Scotland have their own Anthems. Why can’t England have its own? My suggestion would be Jerusalem.

Another very good website about Englishness is,

Cross of St. George


They have a very good history section. I’m ashamed to say much of it was new to me. However, I’m now better informed. My favourite page was about Agincourt. Whoops!! There go all my French readers.

While you’re there you must read the Blog. It’s superb.

Another great Blog on the subject is,

The England Project


And another thing……

Way do we celebrate St. Patrick’s Day and completely ignore St. George’s Day? I strongly believe the 23rd April should be a National Holiday.

End Note

Although I’m not a big football fan, but it warms my heart to see all the St. Georges crosses that are appearing. Perhaps there is hope for the English yet.

Sorry about the rant, but I really needed to get it off my chest.

Regards



Click Here to E-Mail Me Direct

No comments:

Post a Comment