www.flickr.com
Trance-Elbow's photos More of Trance-Elbow's photos

Friday 9 June 2006

This Heat is Bad For Your Computer

Yesterday I received an e-mail from one of my ISPs, I have several for different needs. Basically it was to inform me that they had been experiencing problems with the server which held my information. When they tried their backup device they discovered that was also faulty. So they had lost all the user information, accounts, etc.

Now correct me if I’m wrong, but I thought the whole idea of having a back device was to prevent such a situation from occurring in the first place! Never mind, I thought, it’s only a mail server and that’s not a big problem.

This morning I noticed that some of the graphics were missing from my Blogs. Strange, thought I, wonder where they’ve gone? It was then it hit me. It wasn’t an e-mail server that they mentioned at all, it was their web-server that had died.

AAAAARRRGGGGHHH!!!!!! That’s the server with my eBay database and e-mail accounts on! Guess who hasn’t got a back-up copy of any of it!

Why is it that you never quite get round to backing up files until it’s too late. I think I’ve learned a valuable lesson today.

Repeat after me –

I MUST BACKUP MY HARD-DRIVES!
I MUST BACKUP MY HARD-DRIVES!


Regards



Click Here to E-Mail Me Direct

1 comment:

  1. I feel your pain. I am having a serious issue with a hard drive that failed and a CD that decided to fail too. Both things just happend to hold the most important information... the editable .fla files for a website that I made for a studio photographer who now wants to change some things. I'm going to have to recreate from some random midway point.... not good.

    ReplyDelete